The Society of Physics Students is organized by the students, under the supervision of Dr. Kiril Streletzky. SPS organizes seminars, the annual catapult contest, ice cream parties with liquid nitrogen, outreach to schools around CSU, and many more activities.
The CSU-SPS Chapter is nationally recognized with: 13 consecutive Outstanding SPS Chapter Awards (2009-2022); 11 Marsh White Outreach Awards (2011-2019, 2021, 2022); two (2012, 2015) Blake Lilly Awards; three (2016, 2019, 2022) SPS Chapter Reporter Awards; 2016-2017 SPS Chapter Research Award; 2013-2014 Future Faces of Physics Award; 2017-2018 Sigma Pi Sigma Chapter Project Award; 2015 SPS Outstanding Chapter Advisor Award (Streletzky); two 2019 SPS Leadership Scholarships (Tietjen, Adamczyk), a 2022 Peggie Dixon Two-Year Award (Herron), three student Reporter awards, 2021 Food for Hungry Physics and Astronomy Students, and more than 40 SPS Travel Awards since 2007.
Learn about some of our student SPS leaders from past and present here (Marie Blatnik, Jacob Adamczyk, Samantha Tietjen, Andrew Scherer) and read articles about SPS involvement by CSU's SPS leaders written mostly by CSU students:
- The report (by V. Bushunov) on meeting CSU SPS president Phil Dee at the 2013 APS March Meeting
- The report (by M. Blatnik) on attending Conferences for Undergraduate Women in Physics in 2014
- The report (by M. Blatnik) on attending APS Nuclear Physics Meeting in 2014
- The report (by J. Flaherty) on Zombie Apocalypse at the 2015 APS March Meeting (check Page 30)
- The report (by I. Tsuper) on Zone 7 SPS meeting organized at CSU in 2015
- The report (by D. Adams, S. Tietjen, C. Tolbert) on student visit of SLAC during 2016 PhysCon Conference
- The report (by S. Tietjen and K. Streletzky) on rebuilding CSU chapter of Sigma Pi Sigma in 2018
- The report (by S. Tietjen, J. Pitchford, K. Streletzky) on our outreach program at Campus International School in 2017-2018
- In 2020 CSU's SPS Logo made it to the cover of the SPS Observer
- 2021 article (by S. Tietjen and A. Scherer) on CSU's SPS Pandemic Spirit-Wear
- 2022 letter (by K. Streletzky) on a how to prepare for an undergraduate summer research experience (#HowtoREU)
- 2022 article (by P. Herron, A. Scherer, and K. Streletzky) on CSU's SPS Post-Pandemic Outreach at BioMed Academy
Officers of the CSU-SPS Chapter (left to right): Dr. S (SPS faculty adviser), Andrew Scherer (past SPS president), Patrick Herron (SPS president), Jordan Miller (SPS treasurer), Collin Douglas (SPS secretary), George Tomaras (SPS vice-president), and Jacob Forester (SPS Historian).
For more information, visit: