School of Music

Degrees & Programs - FAQs

Q: What undergraduate degrees do you offer?
A: Among its degrees and programs, the School of Music at Cleveland State offers professional training leading to the Bachelor of Music degree with concentrations in Composition, Music Education, Music Therapy, Performance, and the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in music for individuals who wish to study music in its wider cultural context. University students may also minor in music.

Q: What graduate degrees do you offer?
A: Candidates with undergraduate degrees in music who seek advanced standing in Composition, Music Education and Performance may apply to the Master of Music degree program. They may also undertake post-baccalaureate coursework leading to Multi-Age Licensure in Music Education for teaching Pre-Kindergarten through 12th Grade.

Q: Am I required to declare myself as a music major as a freshman?
A: The curriculum for the degree tracks in music begin in the first semester of study. A number of core music courses and schools requirements are sequential, are not offered every semester, and must be completed or satisfied before you can take upper-level music courses. In order to become a music major, incoming freshman and transfer candidates (including students who would like to tranfer from a different College or program within Cleveland State) must audition for admission to the School. Contact the School of Music enrollment office (216-687-5039) for more information.

Q: Is it possible to double-major or pursue a dual-degree?
A: Yes. Undergraduates and graduates alike may double-major or pursue degrees that cross disciplines. The Bachelor of Arts degree, in particular, is well-suited to undergraduates who would like to deepen their understanding of music in addition to pursuing another field or topic of interest.

Q: May I change my degree track within music after I have begun my studies?
A: It is possible to change your degree concentration, however, you may be required to re-audition.

Q: May I take private lessons or take part in university ensembles if I am not a music major?
A: Non-music majors who can demonstrate that they are able to read music are elgibile to register for private or group lessons through Department Secretary after their semester's schedule has been determined. Those who wish to take private lessons but do not currently know how to read music should consider taking Materials of Music (MUS 122), typically offered in the spring semester each year. To determine your level of preparedness for private or group study, contact the Enrollment Administrator for assistance. All School of Music ensembles are open, via audition, to CSU students regardless of major.