Jump to navigation
Mass Spectrometry Facility and Instrumentation Center
MASS SPECTROMETRY FACILITY AND INSTRUMENTATION CENTER
CAUTIONS FOR INSTRUMENT LAB SAFETY
- Do not consume food / beverage in labs; no food/beverage containers in trash cans in labs
- Clearly label containers or holders of your samples and reagents with: the full name of the contents, your full name, faculty supervisor’s name, and the date.
- Cap chemical waste containers immediately after transferring wastes.
- Put glass and metal wastes in the containers assigned for such wastes
- Do not store chemicals in hoods; close hoods fully when not handling items inside
- Lock the door as leaving from the lab even for a short while
CAUTIONS FOR USE OF INSTRUMENTS WITHIN INSTRUMENTATION LABS
- Must receive training from Instrumentation Manager or TA for use of the instruments independently.
- Book instruments in advance to avoid conflicts. (Priority in instrument usage: Maintenance, teaching / training, research. Instrument Manager has the right to cancel a reservation due to a certain reason).
- Cancel reservation in advance if you will not use it.
- Do not place liquid containers on top of any electrical equipment.
- Do not change any public hardware configurations or software settings.
- After instrument use, do not leave your materials (reagents, samples, etc.) in any places within instrument labs. Bring them into your home lab.
- Have to follow instrument protocols
CAUTIONS FOR INSTRUMENT COMPUTERS
- Do not install or upgrade any programs without the Manager’s permission.
- Don not make an internet connection.
- Do not put your files/folder on a PC Desktop; put them in the specified directories
- Do not interrupt an instrument computer when another person is acquiring data
- Use CD or DVD instead of USB-connection drives to back up your data every time in the end
PRECEDENCE FOR BOOKING AND USING THE INSTRUMENTS
- Service, maintenance, and training have top priority.
- Classes have precedence over research.
- Chemistry has precedence over other departments.
Must clean up and organize the working areas in the end
- Dispose your wastes (gloves, chemicals, samples, etc.); bring your own items to your home labs
- Put the Facility’s items in assigned locations
- The bench / desk top, hood, floor, cabinet, and sink should be clean and organized