For new undergraduate admissions to Cleveland State,
see the current Undergraduate Catalog also click here for:
CSU Admissions Office
Euclid Commons, Room 100
For undergraduate transfer admission to Cleveland State,
see the current Undergraduate Catalog; also refer to:
For admission or transfer from another Cleveland State college, see the current Undergraduate Catalog; also refer to:
Next, if the program seems interesting to you, make an appointment with the Director to discuss applying to the program-typically at any time before the end of your junior year. To enter the program, a student must have a minimum GPA of 2.75, either cumulatively or in the last 24 semester hours taken before admission.
If you choose to apply, your letter of application should explicitly ask for admission to Liberal Studies and address the following questions:
- Where are you "coming from" academically and intellectually? What is your educational background?
- Where do you want to end up? What do you want to do with your life? What are your personal goals?
- Why are you interested in choosing this degree?
- How do you plan to use this degree? (For example, do you want to identify and explore your personal interests, or lay a foundation for further study, or prepare yourself for a job?) Be specific.
- How do you feel about choosing your own courses and directing your own academic plan for Liberal Studies?
- What kinds of courses are you interested in for each category of requirements in the major, and what are some specific courses that appeal to you?
- When do you plan to graduate?
This application should be a thoughtful, professional business letter, in standard format, single-spaced, in about 1-3 pages. You can use any of several means to submit it:
U.S. mail: Director, Liberal Studies
c/o CAS Dean's Office
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44115
Your letter is reviewed by the Director and by the Admissions & Standards Committee of Liberal Studies. When your application is approved, your major becomes effective in the following term.