The Diversity Council promotes awareness, accommodation, and appreciation of differences among students, faculty, and staff of the College of Arts and Sciences.
Student Engagement and Success
The College offers a diverse portfolio of programs designed to broaden participation in mathematics, the sciences and heath professions. Programs concentrate on student success and preparing participants to enter the workforce or the next stage of their academic career. Built on national models and best practices, many provide scholarships or other incentives to participate and offer engagement opportunities ranging from authentic research experiences and faculty mentoring or specialized advising to various networking, community building, and service activities.
Infrastructure: Faculty, Staff and Culture
Cleveland State is dedicated to applying the practices of diversity and inclusion as tools for institutional excellence. Our accomplishments in this area have been affirmed in several ways:
- CSU is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse student bodies among Ohio universities: 36% of students are African-American, American Indian, Asian, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, multiracial or residents of countries outside the USA.
- CSU has received the High Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award from Insight into Diversity magazine for three consecutive years.
- CSU was designated a Hall of Fame institution by the Greater Cleveland Partnership’s Commission on Economic Inclusion for best-in-class achievement for Senior Diversity Management.
Building on this progress, the Board of Trustees ratified the Cleveland State University Diversity Plan: Pursuing Inclusive Excellence in 2016 to drive continual efforts to improve CSU’s capacity to create a diverse and inclusive environment.
At the college level, the Diversity Council has led a number of initiatives that empower faculty and staff to develop and leverage knowledge, skills, resources, and networks; ultimately, transforming university culture. Recent highlights include the following:
- Institutions Developing Excellence in Academic Leadership (NSF IDEAL-N)
- Respecting Diversity: Practical Trips for Engaging with All Students
- Calendar of Religious Observances
- President's Award for Excellence in Diversity: 2014 (COSHP)
- President's Award for Excellence in Diversity: 2019, 2015, 2014 (CLASS)
- President’s Diversity Special Award for Collaboration, 2014 (CLASS)